“Civic education is, therefore, political education.”
The vision of Civics for All:
- For students: all Seattle K-12 students will become experts in democratic citizenship.
- For schools: all schools will become hotbeds of civic knowledge, awareness, and engagement.
- For the city: Seattle’s civic culture (govt., NGOs, non-profits, for-profits, etc.) will spark with adolescent enthusiasm, energy, and idealism.
- For the district: Civics for All will engage and empower all employees by intentionally building the culture of the Seattle Public Schools into a “Civic Culture” where all adults study, discuss, and celebrate the fundamental principles of democracy with youth.
- For the state and nation: Seattle and the Seattle Public Schools will become the civics education model for the state and the country.
“The mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be kindled.”